TCU Logo

Do you want to focus on your health by becoming more physically active in 2018? If so, you are on the “right track” as a TCU retiree! Healthy aging generally involves exercising at least 30 minutes each day to increase body flexibility, bone mass, strength, and overall fitness for health management. Recent evidence shows that engaging in at least 150 minutes per week of moderate intensity exercisehas significant health promoting effects even if one does not exercise daily. “Getting up and out to move” benefits all body systems for improved heart and brain health, improved mood, less fatigue and job stress, and better memory. Persons who commit to a regular exercise regimen have less chronic illness or manage their illness more effectively. Older women sustain less bone loss and risk of osteoporosis when they assume a regular exercise program.

How can you identify if you can begin a regular exercise program or need help to meet exercise goals? Here are some ideas:

If you can successfully meet those goals, you may choose a variety of exercises to improve or stabilize your health. Assessment and recommendations from fitness/wellness trainers at the TCU Campus Recreation Center can help you begin strength training, swimming, or mind-body [yoga, meditation, tai chi, mindfulness] programs to meet 2018 wellness goals. You also may independently choose to begin a program by walking every day, hiking in nature, or dancing; all of these promote muscle development. bone strength, and positive outcomes outlined earlier.
Increasing your exercise in 2018 also may focus on adding to your usual exercise regimen three daily exercises that improve balance and stability needed to prevent falls. These exercises also help prevent neck, shoulder, back, and hip pain that seems to become more common with aging. Try these exercises to improve your range of motion and balance in less than 15 minutes a day with slow movement for maximal benefit:

Each of us must choose a different exercise regimen to fit our needs and daily priorities. I like to walk each morning, usually for about 45 minutes, and easily accomplish that by living on a road that empties out to a primary roadway in my rural community. The walk has gentle hills that stimulate my heart and muscles, and a walk up and down a steep hill offers a chance to really get my heart beating! I use my Silver Sneakers membership, part of my Medicare Advantage plan, to do strength training several times a week. I also have been lucky with that membership to find an incredible teacher for yoga classes twice a week; these often push me beyond my comfort zone but have taught me the personal value of a mind-body exercise for my overall health.

Best wishes to you for finding the weekly regimen that works for you and your health goals for 2018!

References: